Ornate Push

 
 

 

 

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Mellow Monday

Very little in the way of exciting tournament poker this week. I've been playing some cash games again, mainly due to a lack of ability to concentrate for more than an hour at a time. I've had some strange sleep patterns and dull headaches this week so that's probably something to do with it. I'm growing a beard for a while too, the itchyness of which is clearly disturbing when one is in dreamland. Cash game hands just aren't that exciting to talk about are they ? Whatever hand I hit yesterday there's 20,000 more in the next year or two which will cancel out whichever piece of luck hit me, good or bad. It's one long game and odds will play out over time. NL Tournaments are a different matter, one time shots at beating the competition using every weapon in your arsenal. Hopefully I'll be more in the mood to focus for a few hours at a time this week and get some more tourney time in.
Highlights from the cash game included flopping a straight flush on Thursday with As10s and getting paid off by both a weaker flush and a chap who made a full house on the river. Since then I've had a few beats and finished the week even. As the saying goes,
"If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;" - Rudyard Kipling
Though for poker it should probably be
"If you can meet with great runs of luck and bad beats
And treat those two impostors just the same;"
That's possibly one of the great truth's which takes the longest time to accept in poker. For every bad beat you bust out on, you will have done the same to other people. It happens, it’s part of the game, and whinging and moaning about it isn't going to change the way the cards fell, or help you in the future. Just get back on your feet, check that there isn't a better way to have played the hand, and move on to the next one.

In other non-pokery news, this weekend was the start of the 'proper' football season, and this year I have a fantasy football team entered on Premierleague.com. I made a flurry of changes at the last minute on Friday to my team sheet, because I'm an indecisive Libran, and it cost me some points yesterday because I didn't have Chelsea's Bridge in my team anymore. I've changed it back this morning so my team looks like this…

GK - Robinson (TOT)
DEF - Terry (CHE)
DEF - Ferdinand (MUN)
DEF - Bridge (CHE)
MID - Gerrard (LIV)
MID - Jenas (TOT)
MID - Lampard (CHE)
MID - Gonzalez (LIV)
STR - Berbatov (TOT)
STR - Van Persie (ARS)
STR - Ameobi (NEW)
Subs -
GK - Crossley (FUL)
DEF - Fortune (CHA)
DEF - Sommeil (SHU)
MID - Tonge (SHU)

My strategy is to make my subs the cheapest available players, as they will rarely play, and spend the rest of my allowed £50 million on the first 11. There are flaws in my strategy for sure, the biggest one being that all my eggs are in one basket, with the focus of my team being on Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool. If Ashley Cole goes to Chelsea as well then Bridge could be a dead-duck, but we'll just have to watch and see. I'm entered in two leagues, one with work and one with my mates, and the standings are as follows -

Work -
Entrants - 20
Top of the table - 71 points
Average (week) - 50.85 points
Average (overall) - 50.85 points
Relegation battlers (bottom) - 24 points
Me - 9th, Mid-table - 53 points

Mates -
Entrants - 10
Top of the table - 63 points
Average (week) - 45.90 points
Average (overall) - 45.90 points
Relegation battlers (bottom) - 34 points
Me - 3rd, Title-chasers - 53 points

Notables - Twister leads the charge with 63 points, largely thanks to Louis Saha and Darren Bent, but with Calamity James in goal I can't see it lasting for long. Hooks is helping prop-up the league one from bottom !

Unfortunately for you, I shall be sharing this largely boring statistical information week in, week out, so I'll make sure to drop it at the bottom of every post so you can ignore it at will. Any comments or advice from fantasy league veterans would be greatly appreciated of course.

2 Comments:

Blogger Littleacornman said...

Good post.Shamed me into deleting my pathetic Aces busted hand history from yesterdays post.
I hate whiney posts about badbeats where KQ "sucked out on" 77 etc etc.
Btw I like your team but Jennas and Bridge? hmmm

11:41 am  
Blogger TanOrpheus said...

Thanks for the comment mate, I know Jenas and Bridge were my last two players in the side, the best point scorers I could get for the money I had remaining. If they can manage 60 points each in the season then it shouldn't be a problem.

6:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Contact Details

Yahoo IM : TanOrpheus

Links

Description

Ornate - adj. 1. Elaborately, heavily, and often excessively ornamented. 2. Flashy, showy, or florid in style or manner;

Push - 1. To exert outward pressure or force against something. 2. To advance despite difficulty or opposition; press forward. 3. To expend great or vigorous effort.

Ornate Push - The messy ramblings of a troubled poker player and tilted mind.

Archives

July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 October 2010 November 2010 March 2011 July 2011

Powered By